Heriot-Watt University - Orkney Campus
Heriot-Watt University - Orkney Campus
About Heriot-Watt University - Orkney Campus
Our heritage dates back to 1821 since when our community of scholars has been developing transformational solutions to specific global problems. We are specialists in engineering, business and science and leaders in innovative global education for a future world.
We are global
- We have five campuses across the world: Edinburgh, Scottish Borders, Orkney, Dubai and Malaysia, as well as 53 Approved Learning Partners (ALPs) and educational collaborative partners in 150 countries.
- We have over 29,000 students studying with us at our campuses and online through distance learning (year end 2017).
- One third of our on-campus students studying in Scotland are from outside the UK, making Heriot-Watt one of the most internationally diversified of any UK university.
We are connected
- The Watt Club is oldest graduate club in the UK.
- We have over 130,000 alumni worldwide in over 190 countries.
- We are the university of choice for business and industry? and our graduates are sought by the best organisations worldwide.
We are experts and leaders
- The Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 ranked Heriot-Watt 22nd in the UK, with 82% of our research as world-leading or internationally excellent.
- We are 9th in the UK and 1st in Scotland for research impact.
- Over 80% of our academic staff are currently engaged in research at internationally recognised levels.
- We are ranked 302nd in the world in the 2019 QS World University Ranking.
- At least 90% of students were satisfied overall with their course in 10 of our 22 subject areas in the National Student Survey 2019.
- We are 37th in the world, 13th in the UK and 3rd in Scotland for our international outlook based on THE World University Rankings 2019.
- 8th in Scotland in the Guardian University Guide 2021.
- 95% of graduates are in employment or further study within six months of graduation.
Where it All Started
From a pioneering institute born out of the Scottish Enlightenment, today we are shaping the world, a global university, a leader in transnational education. Echoing our founding principles of tailoring our curriculum to the needs of modern society, we are a powerful driver of the economy wherever we are in the world. In all of our communities we create a distinct university experience, a springboard for an international career.
We are proud that since our foundation in 1821, we have been outward-looking pioneers of education, in pursuit of knowledge to the benefit of society and the world. Read the story of Heriot-Watt University:
- Our Heritage
- Pioneering Education Since 1821
- Opportunities For Women
- Origins Of Our Name
- International Outlook
- Leaders In Ideas And Solutions
Heriot-Watt University Orkney is located in a stunning setting that brings its unique research and study programs to life. Orkney's extensive natural resources, ties to the marine industry and friendly community make a distinctive learning environment.
- A living laboratory
- Based in the town of Stromness, our specialist campus is home to the International Centre for Island Technology (ICIT), part of our prestigious School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society. Take a virtual tour and see how our ‘living laboratory' helps shape solutions to a wide range of energy and marine problems.
- Unique location
- Heriot-Watt Orkney is one of the UK's most stunning university locations. Set in the picturesque harbour of Hamnavoe and Scapa Flow, for over 25 years the campus has supported a broad range of research, teaching and consultancy activities within the marine, oil and gas, and fisheries sectors.
- Out and about
- Specialist laboratory facilities, social areas and student clubs and organisations make full use of the stunning landscape – from diving to rock climbing, kayaking to sailing – and there's a warm and friendly social scene.
- Our students
- Our students come to study with us from across the globe and from a range of backgrounds. Our masters degrees are ‘conversion’ degrees, meaning that you do not necessarily need to hold an undergraduate degree aligned with renewables or marine science to study with us. We have had business, media studies and law graduates join our master's programs, and of course, previous work experience is taken into consideration.
Scholarships and bursaries
A scholarship or bursary can help finance your student journey. Discover how to approach various bodies for support.
Each year, hundreds of students enhance their educational experience through a variety of Heriot-Watt and externally funded scholarships, including opportunities funded by the University's generous alumni community, based all over the globe.
The University supports scholarship provision with:
- £10m to support fees scholarships (including £3m for rest of UK (RUK) students)
- £1.5m to support maintenance (living cost) bursaries for RUK students.
- £7.5m to support scholarships and bursary payments to home/EU/overseas students.
International Merit Awards
Heriot-Watt University welcomes students from all over the world. Our International Undergraduate and Postgraduate Merit Awards are designed to help you fund your studies with us on any of our Edinburgh-based undergraduate or taught postgraduate programs at our UK campuses.
- Undergraduate Merit Awards
- Postgraduate Merit Awards
Our support staff in Orkney can provide detailed information on accommodation within Stromness and Orkney and have up-to-date details for over 50 local estate agents and landlords who are interested in leasing to students
A number of 1, 2 and 3-bedroom properties within walking distance of the Orkney Campus are available to rent. You should expect to pay about £330 to £500 a month for accommodation. These costs are only estimates and you should also take into account power costs of around £10 a week in winter and internet costs of about £32 a month based on two students sharing a property – but this varies between properties. Remember to factor in sport or social and other living costs. Living costs are higher if you choose to live alone.
Facts & Figures
Year of Establishment
Engineering & Technology
Master of Science in Marine Renewable Energy
This MSc is designed as a multidisciplinary transition programme relevant to students from a wide variety of backgrounds and is delivered at our Orkney Campus. The taught part of the programme addr...
Engineering & Technology
Master of Science in Renewable Energy Development (RED)
The MSc in Renewable Energy Development (RED) is delivered by the International Centre for Island Technology (ICIT) at our Orkney Campus. It has been designed around three key drivers of renewable ...
Food & Dining Sevices
The following requirements must be fulfilled to get admitted to the Heriot-Watt University.
- International students are considered on case-by-case basis. There can be some additional requirements, depending on the program you are applying to.
- Students are required to submit their original transcripts from their last attended academic institutions. If they are not in English, then submit the translated copies of the same along with the originals.
- Applicants must be 18 years old at the time of the beginning of the course.
- You need to submit your English language proficiency test scores if you are coming from a non-English speaking country.
Get your letter of acceptance from Heriot-Watt University - Orkney Campus
Benefits of choosing
- ⇒ Admission’s guaranteed at Top institutes across the world.
- ⇒ Enjoy exclusive application fee waiver’s with Edmissions.
- ⇒ Unlimited FREE Counselling sessions with Edmission’s Experts.
- ⇒ Get Tips from industry veterans to crack the IELTS exam in 1 week.
- ⇒ Assistance with scholarships, loans, forex, student accommodation and visa guidance./college/unitedkingdom/heriot-watt-university-orkney-campus
Lets get your queries resolved!
Got a question? Ask and discuss with 100,000+ study abroad aspirants and experts
Popular Colleges in United Kingdom
Goldsmiths, University of London
Est:1891 | Students:10000+
Est:1834 | Students:28000+
Est:1966 | Students:18500+
University of Westminster - Cavendish Campus
Est:1992 | Students:20500+
University of Bedfordshire - Luton Campus
Est:2006 | Students:20000+
Leeds Beckett University - City Campus
Est:1992 | Students:23280+
Jan 25, 2023 06:51AM
Top 5 Countries with Easy Immigration for International Students
Tips and tricks
Jan 25, 2023 06:51AM
CGPA to percentage - How to convert CGPA into percentage?
Mar 02, 2023 10:22AM
IELTS Exam Dates 2023: Academic and General Training Dates, Fees, Test Centres
Mar 18, 2023 10:58AM
Spring (January) Intake in USA 2024: Deadline & Universities
Mar 20, 2023 06:27AM
PTE Score Chart 2023: Check Validity, Average Marks & Score Range
Mar 20, 2023 06:39AM
Canada May 2023 Intake-Universities & Colleges Requirement