University of Plymouth
University of Plymouth
About University of Plymouth
The University of Plymouth is the 38th largest in the UK, according to the student strength. It is a public university based predominantly in Plymouth with its campuses and affiliated colleges located across South West England. The university educates more than 22 thousand students with a staff strength of more than 2900.
It gained the status of university in 1992 and primarily has five faculties which are further segregated into schools. The faculties are:-
- Arts and Humanities
- Health and Human Sciences
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Science and Engineering
A variety of courses are taught in the university at a graduate and postgraduate level with law, psychology, geographical sciences, computing (including digital media) and computer science, fine art, and art history being the most popular. The significant developments of the university are in creating a new business school and the largest Marine Science and Engineering School in Europe.
The university consists of Career and Employability hub, which assists students in creating perfect resumes for employment. The research conducted by the university is renowned and acclaimed by the Research Excellence Framework.
The university has more than 3000 international students who enjoy facilities of equipped libraries centrally located accommodation and world-class laboratories.
Advancing knowledge, transforming lives.
We will be a broad-based, research-intensive university, open to all who can benefit from a University of Plymouth education, and delivering excellent interdisciplinary research, experiential education and civic engagement.
The Core Principles
We will adapt our existing core strategic principles to enhance the University’s reputation and to understand sustainability as an embedded principle across everything we do.
- Quality: striving for the highest quality in everything we do.
- One Team: working, planning for and delivering a shared vision, underpinned by a strong sense of collegiality.
- Reputation: building our institutional reputation through confidence in our pioneering contributions, excellence in education and research, socio-economic impact, and thought leadership.
- Sustainability: sustainability in our finances, reputation, services, partnerships, environmental performance and global contribution.
Bursaries, awards and scholarships funded by our graduates and friends
Student Hardship Fund
Donations are gratefully received to this fund, which helps ensure students can continue their studies in spite of financial difficulties.
Awards are made via a means-tested system, which the Student Funding Unit administers. In 2010, Plymouth graduate Helen Dean left a legacy of over £40,000, which is awarded through this fund.
The Financial Support Fund process identifies recipients of the money.
Roland Levinsky Memorial Fund Awards
The Roland Levinsky Memorial Fund was established in 2007 in memory of Vice-Chancellor, Professor Roland Levinsky. Monies were bequeathed by Roland’s wife Beth Levinsky together with donations from many friends and colleagues. Over the past 12 years the fund has provided support to University of Plymouth students carrying out projects and activities across the world that have enhanced their student experience, provided personal development and had a positive impact on the wider community.
The final allocation of funds took place earlier this year and we would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who so generously gave to the scheme to enable our students to participate in a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Sporting Excellence Scholarships for water-based sports
- If you are a University of Plymouth student studying a full-time degree-level course whilst competing at an international level in a water-based sport, such as swimming or sailing, you may be eligible to apply for one of our Sporting Excellence Scholarships. There are five awards of £800 available per scholar per year.
- Applicants must meet our shortlisting criteria, and successful scholars are determined by a shortlisting panel based on the information and evidence provided in written applications. Students must re-apply annually.
Undergraduate international scholarships
To reward outstanding achievement the University of Plymouth offers scholarship schemes to help towards funding your studies.
Postgraduate scholarships for international students
We offer several scholarships for international students who wish to study postgraduate taught (PGT) degree programs.
University-managed halls of residence
We want you to enjoy living and studying in Plymouth, build life-long friendships and feel fully supported during your time with us. We offer a great variety of halls of residence to choose from, that provide a safe and friendly environment for our students. Our halls are located on campus, or within the nearby student village, only a few minutes' walk from both University facilities and city-centre amenities.
Our halls of residence include
- Francis Drake
- Mary Newman
Booking your accommodation
Once you've chosen your preferred halls of residence, you can apply for your room via the accommodation portal. Halls of residence applications are on a first-come, first-served basis. When allocating specific rooms, we endeavour to match you with people with similar living habits and interests. The application process includes some lifestyle questions to assist with the allocation.
Why choose University-managed halls of residence?
With prices starting from as little as £102 per week, there’s a huge range of benefits you can enjoy staying in University-managed accommodation.
- Be at the centre of everything! Lecture theatres, the library, leisure facilities, the students’ union, places to eat and drink and the city centre are all within a few minutes walk.
- Pay no deposit for your room.
- Cleaning of your communal areas (kitchens and bathroom) provided in selected halls.
- Fantastic range of accommodation to suit all budgets and requirements.
- All bills included (utilities, WiFi and contents insurance).
- We’re trusted landlords, with no admin fees or scary credit checks.
- 24/7 campus security.
- Dedicated reception and maintenance teams.
- Full access to all residence life events and activities at no extra cost.
- Option for catered living.
Facts & Figures
Year of Establishment
Business & Management
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Accounting and Finance (Optional Placement)
Explore the latest developments in the field and master the complex set of skills needed to embark on a career in accounting and finance. You will have the opportunity to experience accountancy in ...
Creative Arts & Design
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Acting
Train to be a professional actor and experience real world work-based learning with Theatre Royal Plymouth and enjoy all the benefits of campus life at University of Plymouth. Our vocational course...
Agriculture, Forestry & Animal Sciences
Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Animal Behaviour and Welfare (Optional Placement)
Are you passionate about understanding animal behaviour and applying this knowledge to improve welfare? Do you want to explore the evolution of behaviour in a variety of species? Applying an unders...
Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Anthropology
From remote coastal communities to online and digital realms, immerse yourself in the variety of cultures on our doorstep and beyond to build your understanding of the world and your role in it. Le...
Architecture and Construction
Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Architectural Engineering (Optional Placement)
With an increasing demand for architects and engineers who can provide multidisciplinary knowledge and skills, our architectural engineering degree combines the creativity of architecture with the ...
Accomodation (On Campus)
Food & Dining Sevices
The following requirements must be fulfilled to get admitted to the University of Plymouth.
- International students are considered on case-by-case basis. There can be some additional requirements, depending on the program you are applying to.For applicants who do not meet the above requirements, there are foundation options available via the University of Plymouth and University of Plymouth International College (UPIC).
- Students are required to submit their original transcripts from their last attended academic institutions. If they are not in English, then submit the translated copies of the same along with the originals.
- Applicants must be 18 years old at the time of the beginning of the course.
- You need to submit your English language proficiency test scores if you are coming from a non-English speaking country.
Get your letter of acceptance from University of Plymouth
Benefits of choosing
- ⇒ Admission’s guaranteed at Top institutes across the world.
- ⇒ Enjoy exclusive application fee waiver’s with Edmissions.
- ⇒ Unlimited FREE Counselling sessions with Edmission’s Experts.
- ⇒ Get Tips from industry veterans to crack the IELTS exam in 1 week.
- ⇒ Assistance with scholarships, loans, forex, student accommodation and visa guidance./college/unitedkingdom/university-of-plymouth
Lets get your queries resolved!
Got a question? Ask and discuss with 100,000+ study abroad aspirants and experts
Popular Colleges in United Kingdom
Est:1984 | Students:3772+
Bath Spa University - Sion Hill Campus
Est:1975 | Students:8000+
Est:1895 | Students:11000+
Anglia Ruskin University - Chelmsford Campus
Est:1858 | Students:25000+
INTO - Manchester in partnership with The University of Manchester
Est:2004 | Students:40000+
Cambridge Education Group - Royal Holloway University of London
Est:1849 | Students:10600+
Tips and tricks
Jan 25, 2023 06:51AM
CGPA to percentage - How to convert CGPA into percentage?
Mar 18, 2023 10:58AM
Spring (January) Intake in USA 2024: Deadline & Universities
Mar 20, 2023 06:39AM
Canada May 2023 Intake-Universities & Colleges Requirement
Mar 20, 2023 13:47PM
Times World University Rankings 2023 - Check Best Global Universities: USA, Canada, UK & Australia
Mar 25, 2023 11:40AM
IELTS Exam Dates 2023: Academic and General Training Dates, Fees, Test Centres
Mar 27, 2023 08:20AM
IELTS Speaking Cue Cards Topics / Samples with Answers 2023